My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Sunday, October 17, 2010


Mighty Man Sprint in Montauk, NY on Saturday, October 2, 2010.

Well, that sucked. The swim threw me and it was all downhill from there.

First, I must say that I don’t ever remember being so cold. Nothing, other than racing, would ever induce me to take my clothes off in such cold, very windy weather. 

It still dark when the race meeting began. It seemed to drag on and on and by the time we got into water, my body felt tight and rigid from the wind and cold. There was no time for a "warm-up" swim, not that anything would have warmed me up this morning. I was shivering with teeth chattering uncontrollably by the time I hit the water. 

It was a triangular course in a lake. I expected a fast, easy swim, after all, how hard could a lake swim be? Well... Going out the wind was against us and the waves were huge. I felt like I was moving backwards instead of forwards. Breathing was difficult and in the end I used my legs exclusively nearly the whole way out. I don’t know why, but for some reason it was easier to swim that way.  

I was in the next to the last wave with 25-29 year old males right behind us. It was entirely demoralizing having most of them jet ahead. It took forever to make it to the first corner of the triangle, by which time I was done. Completely exhausted and nauseous from all the water I swallowed. 

The turn, made the waves hit me in the side, which made it easier to move ahead. It gave me enough of a break to be able to get my head in the right space and put my face in the water. At first, my stroke was all over the place, but by the time I made the second turn I was fine. It was nearly impossible to sight because the sun was just over the treetops and as bright as could be. I loved it. Under water I could see the rays shining into the darkness. It was beautiful. I gave up on trying to sight and just set my course at the sun. It took a quarter of the time and ten percent of the effort to make it back to the beach.

It took forever for me to transition. I’ve never felt so tired after a swim. My legs felt wooden. Shivering, wet in the cold wind, I pulled on my shoes and race top with numb fingers.

Once on the bike I felt good and was able to push myself. Hardly anyone passed me and I felt like I was moving at a good pace. Clearly, I now know that my pace was way below my ability, but at the time, it felt like I was putting in 110% effort. The course was quick and easy with a dreaded hill that never came. People were great and everyone was happy to be out of the water. 

In the final mile, a woman wiped out a hundred feet in front of me, somersaulting over her bike. Tons of spectators ran over to help her, but I don’t think she got up. It was hard not to get off the bike and offer my help too. I still feel bad that I didn’t.

Dismounting was a strange experience. My legs were numb and I nearly fell over. I made a clumsy shuffle to T2, which took forever. I really need to work on my transitions. 

I switched shoes — I used the Vibrams for this race. I expected to have some difficulty with them, but they slipped right on and I started the run. For the first time EVER, I passed other runners! I guess there is hope for my running yet. The whole time I maintained a steady pace, picking up a little time on the downhills. The run was super quick and I was surprised when it was finished.

I expected my swim to be my slow leg, though not as slow as it turned out to be. I am bummed at my time on the bike leg and I think I could have done better on the run, thought I am happy with my pace. I was relieved to cross the finish line, but felt beaten up and generally demoralized. This race has taught me one thing — as long as my swimming is my weak sport, the other two will always suffer.

The bright and fun part of this weekend was hanging out with Tricia. I loved hearing about her life and plans for the future. She is calm, thoughtful and very intelligent. This trip was a bit of an adventure (getting lost in a pouring rain in a town without street lights,) a reunion (running into Katherine from my first swim class), and a mini-vacation (laying out post-race on the hotel deck watching the surfers navigate the huge waves of Montauk). All in all a good finish to the season.

Swim 750m 31:43
T1 3:09
Bike 17km 43:14
T2 3:12
Run 5k 28:02
1:49:20
Overall 321/392


Mighty North Fork in Cedar Beach, NY on Saturday, July 11, 2010.

What a great race! Great weather, beautiful course and great people. For sure I will do this one again.

Swim 500m 14:50
T1 3:47
Bike  8 miles 25:25
T2 1:42
Run 3.5 miles 36:54
1:22:36
Overall 291/415

No comments:

Post a Comment