My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Thursday, November 19, 2009

Can't breathe! My nose is all clogged up and I feel like I am sucking air through a straw. And to make matters worse, the thick, disgusting slime keeps slithering down my throat, so my throat is sore, too! Okay, didn't mean to be so descriptive, but this sucks!

I don't know about you, but I need to breathe in order to work out. I can't swim because the ugly, green stuff keeps creeping down and clogging up my airway. I get that panicky feeling like if I don't take another breath, I will suffocate immediately. I keep catapulting myself out of the water like a sperm whale, looking freaked out and altogether uncool.

For the next five weeks, thanks to my injured ligaments, I am on a swim/walk and vertical weight work-only regimen. I can still walk if I'm not breathing, but blowing snot all over myself is not as much fun as you would think.

The neti pot is my solution. I make my own wash from filtered water, one teaspoon of sea salt and a pinch of baking powder. I know, I know... I can buy the solution at Whole Foods, but I already make a sizable contribution to their bottom line, and money is thin these days. Besides, I already have the ingredients.

If you haven't experienced the joys of neti potting (my term, but you can use it) before, you have got to try it! At first, it's like you are six and at the beach with your irresponsible uncle. A huge wave comes in, for which he of course releases your hand so that he can jump over it, leaving you to go tumbling head over foot into the terrifying frenzy of whirling water. Anyway, remember how your nose feels right after? Well, that's what it's like your first time with a neti pot. But, you get used to it and even start to crave it after a while (okay, maybe that last part is just me).

My friend Chele, a health counselor who specializes in gastrointestinal issues, has written a great blog post to get you going: Neti Pot—Every Home Should Have One.

Let me know if you try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment