My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Timing Your Workout Fueling

So far, I haven't arrived at training without my bike, running shoes or a swimsuit. I did forget my googles once, but that fact wouldn't illustrate my point. Have you ever done that? Have you ever gone for a run and forgotten your running shoes? I know, stupid question. So, what did you take along to fuel your run?

If you routinely ignore fueling your workouts, you are like an amazing sports car with all the gagets and an empty gas tank. 

Pre-fueling: what to eat before you workout
This is the key meal for topping up your energy reserves.
3 hours before: full meal
    • Lots of carbs, some protein, a little fat
    • Take digestive enzymes; they’ll help you digest faster and assimilate nutrients more efficiently
1 hour before: liquid meal
    • Smoothies, soups and other liquids
within 30 minutes: water and simple carbs
    • Coconut water
    • Gels (if you must)
    • Raw, unfiltered honey


Fueling during training
This will keep you from hitting the wall and underperforming. It is your secret weapon.

90 minutes or less
    • Water and simple carbs
    • 1 gram carbs per 1 minute of exercise
90 minutes to 4 hours
    • Focus on electrolytes: sodium, chloride, potassium, magnesium and calcium
Fluids
      • Up to 24 oz per hour, depending on sweat rate
Carbohydrates
      • Start replacing carbs from beginning of session
      • 1 gram per 1 minute of exercise
      • Protein
      • 4:1 carb-to-protein ratio

Re-fueling: what to eat after your workout
This meal is critical to recovery and improves your ability to train consistently. This is also your carb-loading opportunity.

Right after: water
    • Start replenishing your fluid losses immediately. If you are getting headaches after workouts and races, you are dehydrated.
Within 15 minutes: carbohydrate
    • Raw honey, fruit or starchy vegetables in liquid or semi-liquid form
Within 30 minutes: protein+carbohydrate snack
    • Up to this period your insulin response is doubled = more stored glycogen
    • Think smoothies, soups and other semi-liquid meals. Otherwise, chew well.
Within 2 hours: large protein+carbohydrate meal
    • 4:1 to 3:1 ratio of carbohydrate-to-protein (more protein if you are recovering from an injury or looking to build muscle)

No comments:

Post a Comment