My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Wednesday, December 23, 2009



The lights go down, the tempo of the music is building, and I am pedaling furiously. Spinning is so very cool. All those daily core workouts are paying off. I am feeling solid and strong. I breathe through my nose, making sure that the air travels all the way down below my belly button, filling the lower lobes of my lungs. It is no easy task, especially since I am also keeping my core tight and my upper body relaxed. It took me a while to be able to get all the pieces in place. You see, I have an educated hunch that the deep breathing will kick my endurance into super-turbo mode - it has to do with my parasympathetic nervous system. As a woman, I have an advantage over the guys — us girls have higher parasympathetic control over our heart rates. That's probably why we as a group live longer. I expect that continuously engaging this system will greatly improve endurance. In simple terms, I am decreasing my heart rate, lowering my blood pressure, engaging energy conservation and lowering my need for oxygen. Pretty slick, huh?

Matt's on my right, giving it his all. It's his first spin class. Out of the corner of my eye, I can see his mouth open, already out of breath. We still have 50 minutes to go... poor guy. He is not alone, though; soon, huffing and puffing can be heard from all corners of the room. Covered in a layer of sweat and completely exhausted, he hangs in there. He is a weightlifting guy, not much into running or cycling (unless he's being chased). The class is not for beginners – the 20-something, superfit instructor keeps us off the seats the whole time, resistance up and intensity high. After the class, impressed with his fortitude, she asks cheerily, "Are you coming tomorrow?" "Hells no!" he replies cheekily.

The Effect of Age and Gender on Heart Rate Variability after Endurance Training

HEART RATE VARIABILITY

No comments:

Post a Comment