My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Breakfast is a chaotic affair in my home. The five-year-old complains that all I ever serve is yucky oatmeal while the seven-year-old is gleefully telling me how much he loves it. Matt is intent on making the perfect cup of coffee while I am frantically trying not to miss my 30-minute post-workout window.

By now, I am sure you are aware of the sacred one-hour post-workout period, with the first 30 minutes being the crucial sweet spot. This is when your system becomes a nutrient sponge, soaking up every bit of goodness from the food you put into it. All of us are racing the clock, trying to rehydrate, give our muscles the protein needed for repair and further building, and replenish lost glycogen stores. Lately, I've been trying to become more efficient in my race to this golden finish line.

I, because of my background, know how relevant quality food is to my training and performance. You can't reach your best on french fries and coffee, no matter how hard you train. And although some instant meals may be a good quick grab and go, they can never replace real food. Likewise, jelly sandwiches and bagels, as still recommended by some well-meaning triathlon coaches, may get you to diabetes faster than your intended goal...

Here's what I'm thinking. Usually, I am at the gym by five in the morning, so a quick, light bite is all I can deal with before I go. I've told you about my granola bars before (recipe at Greenmarket Diva); that's what I have. I also load my water bottle with some chia seeds (I keep them soaking overnight), ionized minerals, sublingual B vitamins and a teaspoon of raw honey.

When I come home, I usually have eggs, greens, and a sweet potato or some squash or slow-cooked oatmeal loaded with butter and cream (okay, yes, I have coffee, too). As the seasons change, the food will change, but the idea will remain the same — light, easy to digest and bursting with replenishing nutrients.

2 comments:

  1. I am a fellow coffee drinker too...will try the eggs, greens, and sweet potatoes. Yummy!! Thank you for the ideas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's my favorite breakfast. Well, that and almond butter and pear sandwiches on millet bread. Oh, and grilled goat milk Havarti and granny smith sandwiches with greens on the side. ...and oatmeal is always welcome on the cold mornings I come home from my swim. I love food!

    ReplyDelete