My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Saturday, January 9, 2010


Ch-ch-ch-chia! Remember those toy/plant experiments? Who knew that we should have been licking the seeds off the sheep instead of growing them? The Chia seed is the coolest superfood, especially for long workouts and races. I am not a fan of gels and sports drinks, though they may be a necessary evil sometimes. Those of you who drink Coke mid-race really freak me out, but that's a discussion for another day.

Check this out - Chia means "strength" in Mayan. This is one of the best superfoods for endurance athletes. Stop reading now if you hate lengthy explanations... just know that it will keep you hydrated, maintain your electrolyte balance, boost endurance with a continuous supply of carbohydrates, help protect against tissue damage and greatly reduce that pre-race sour stomach — all in a time-release fashion.

Chia is an excellent source of omega 3s — which means that it reduces inflammation (think of those torn muscle fibers) and minimizes exercise-induced oxidative stress (major contributor to most degenerative diseases). These seeds absorb ten times their weight in water, and slowly release it once in your system. This is a great way to keep hydrated and maintain your electrolyte balance without having to worry about inducing hyponatremia. Carbohydrates in Chia are absorbed into the bloodstream slowly, providing an extended source of energy. Chia seeds are notably high in hydrophilic colloids, a gelatinous substance that is the underlying element in all living cells. It stabilizes blood sugar levels, eliminates gastric distress, improves digestion and enhances nutritional absorption. They are also a great source of complete vegetarian protein (approximately 20%), calcium, magnesium, vitamin C, and soluble fiber. Basically, they beat out any prepackaged gels hands down.

So, how do you use this magic superfood? Drop a tablespoon or two in your water bottle and shake, then shake again in five minutes. Allow to stand on the kitchen counter for 10-12 hours.

When you drink this mixture, you will find that your water has become a gel -  hydrophilic colloids at work. I like to add a teaspoon of raw honey, and a dropperful of ionized minerals to my Chia seed gel as an added insurance policy.

Want to know more about raw honey? Take a look at what the Greenmarket Diva has to say about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment