My inspiration was the 2009 New York Triathlon. All those people doing the unthinkable—specifically, jumping into the Hudson River. It just grossed me out. That water must be super toxic; I expected to find them glowing as they emerged from their swim.

Instead, I saw myself. Not then, not now, but soon. And I started thinking...

You see, I am not an athlete. Never have been. Most of my adult life I have been five or ten pounds away from the perfect weight. Two pregnancies sixteen months apart did not make matters any better. Hey, I love my little guys and treasure all the gifts they bestow upon me. Do I love what bringing them into the world did to my body? No, I do not!

So, I am keeping a journal of my adventure and sharing all that I learn along the way. Hey, I can even contribute some useful information. You see, I am a health coach. I already know some stuff...

Thursday, January 7, 2010

Dear Lonely Guy in the Next Lane,

I know that I must look really interesting with my swimming goggles, nose clip and red, white and blue Supergirl bathing suit, but really, I am here to swim. Please know, however, that I love to hear about your struggles growing up and how the neighborhood has changed. Your neighbors do indeed sound like assholes and I understand that you find the baby next door irritating. I am also immensely grateful for all the swimming tips; I didn't realize that my wrists were too limp. And I really freakin' appreciate your concern that training for a triathlon may just be too much for me. Thanks. What time are you here tomorrow?

1 comment:

  1. We have all been there; perhaps, not in a swimming lane. LOVE this, "Un" fit chick!

    - Chele

    ReplyDelete